While no one ever wants to meet a vehicle accident while traveling, the possibility of being involved in one is relatively high. This is true especially when you’re spending a significant amount of time on the road for your travel. Like other highway collisions, you also have the legal right to recover compensation for the losses you’ve suffered as a result of the injury. In dealing with the headache of a car accident, below are the things to consider legally when you’ve been injured in a crash while traveling.
Ways To Handle A Vehicle Accident
- Get the assistance of a doctor.
- Seeking immediate medical attention for your injuries brought about by a car accident while traveling is important. More than anything else, your safety after the crash should be your foremost priority.
- In these types of situations, getting the assistance of a doctor also means determining the extent of your injuries. When you’re able to know the severity of your injuries, you’ll find out your legal remedy against the offending party.
- You should also remember that the results of your medical examination can be used as evidence when you’re filing a lawsuit.
- Call the attention of the police authorities.
- Once you’ve received medical attention for your injuries, calling the police authorities should be the next big thing to do.
- Keep in mind that a police officer’s participation in investigating the accident can help you vastly. In fact, you can take advantage of the police report they’ll submit for your insurance claims and even for your case in court.
- Don’t forget to document.
- One of the essential parts of handling a vehicle accident is documentation. Although the police authorities can provide you with a report, gathering additional information by yourself can be extremely beneficial.
- Be sure to collect information about the parties involved, details of the accident and even some photographs of the actual scene. Take note that your documentation can factor into your desire to bring legal action against the party at fault.
- Notify your car insurance company.
- Once you’ve documented everything, informing your car insurance company about the accident should follow.
- You should also remember that notifying your insurer after the crash may also mean starting the claims process as quickly as possible. When you’re able to contact your insurance company, you’ll know what they’ll need to handle your claims and what you should expect during the process.
Legal Considerations When You’ve Been Injured In A Vehicle Accident While Traveling
If you’re injured in an accident while traveling – and you should consider legal action against the offending party. Below are some legal issues and practicalities that you should consider.
- Statute of limitations
- Bear in mind that the statutes of limitations varies depending on where you reside. However, the situation will not be the same if you’re involved in a accident while traveling in a place other than your home state. In other words, your action of filing a case will be governed by the laws of the place where the collision happened.
- That’s why it’s best if you try to familiarize the statutes of limitations that will apply in your case. By doing so, you’ll be able to determine the restriction of time within which a lawsuit may be brought in court.
- Laws that will apply
- Similar to the statutes of limitations, the law that applies to your lawsuit both with regards to liability and recovery of damages is the law of the place where the vehicle accident occurred. What this means is that if you’ve been injured in Canada, your lawsuit claim will be ruled according to the laws of Canada.
- That’s why getting injured in an accident while traveling can be stressful. Due to these circumstances, learning about other state laws can be helpful in a legal way. So, it might be a good idea to get in touch with a law firm specializing in vehicle accidents, similar to The Keating Law Firm (https://www.keatingfirmlaw.com/vehicle-accidents) as they may be able to shed a little light on how the legal process could work if you find yourself in an accident while traveling.
- Hiring an attorney
- Before anything else, filing a lawsuit can be difficult without the assistance of an attorney. Take note that hiring a lawyer who’ll represent you in court proceedings is an important aspect of winning the case.
- If you want your claim to prevail in the end, getting an experienced lawyer who can handle your situation properly can be an excellent idea. While looking for one may be challenging, what should matter most in your search is your attorney’s expertise and experience in personal injury cases.
- Since state laws differ from state to state, facing difficulty in finding a lawyer in another place who’ll be willing to take your case is also a possibility. That’s why you can try to look for a legal counsel who is knowledgeable in the law of their state to help you initiate an action.
Traveling is exciting. However, if you end up in a vehicle accident and get injured, such a delightful experience can become a nightmare. By considering some things mentioned above, you should be able to get what you reasonably deserve in your personal injury lawsuit.
Disclaimer: This article shouldn’t be considered as a substitute for actual legal advice. It should only be used as a general reference as to the legal aspect of getting injured in a vehicle accident while traveling. You should always consult an attorney specializing in personal injury cases to provide you with an in-depth understanding of the matter.
Joanne Reed has been writing about law and business for almost a decade, and is currently writing her next big law project. She is an avid sports fan and loves watching games if she has free time.